[python] Re: let us compare

  • From: Jürgen Mages <jmages@xxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 18:24:39 +0100

Thanks Dirk,

very enlightening!

A common problem in comparing pythons is that there is no standard building plan. I was quite surprised how different even the four 26" pythons were that I have tried. Despite their geometry was quite similar, each felt different and it took me about 20 minutes till I got used to them. No wonder that different wheel sizes have even more influence.

One difference with the flevo / python is the pedal induced steering.
pedal induced steering is the slight wobble of the front bottom bracket
in the cadence of pedalling. It was practically unnoticable on the flevo.
It does amount to much on my python in terms of steering (I am guessing
about 0.5degrees), but still I find it not very estetical. May be a 26"
python has less PSI - my proficiency on Serges python was not good
enough to judge that.

I do not notice any PSI while riding, but I recall that when I switched from python to airbike the latter felt less wobbly. The airbike always gave me the impression like riding on rails. I guess, the flevo is similar and I think the reason is the lower steering pivot angle of both airbike and flevo:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/de/5/50/Knicklenker.png

Groetjes,