[python] Re: let us compare

  • From: Lutz Wittgenstein <lutzWittgenstein@xxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 12:29:19 +0100

Hello,

it is very interesting to read about the theoretical basis of the python again.
Jürgen always recommends a steering angel around 67°. If  I remember right the
reason was, that a lower angel causes wheelflop and a steeper angel makes the
bike unridable, because the selfcentering effect disappaers. In the projecct
survey page are a lot of pythons with lower angels down to 60°. Is this
possible, because the riders are so heavy or the front part is so light, that
no wheelflop happens? Is the conclusion for me (1,74m tall, 70kg) to aim at a
shallow steering angel for great selfcentering effect but a light front fame to
avoid wheelflop? Is it right, that a bike with small wheels in general allows a
lower steering angel because the COG of the front frame is not so high over the
pivot point like on a bike with large wheels?

In the weekend I cut out the complete front part of the front frame, changed it
for the new crank, welded everything together again. Then had the first longer
trip along the dyk about 15 km. I felt it easier to go a little bit uphill or
against the wind than downhill or downwinds. In general  get scared in higher
speeds. Does this mean: no PSI problems, but not enough selfcentering effect?
Or is it too early to make any conclusions?
Your advices are welcome.

Lutz