[python] Re: introduce myself

  • From: Patrick van Gompel <patrick_van_gompel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2011 14:43:30 +0200

Last weekend I met Gijs and we had a nice chat about our bikes. Of course, he
tested my Pythonjetrike and I his Python. He couldn't drive mine, I couldn't
drive his :-)
Just kidding. Gijs build a decent Python, but it was just me thinking I was
driving my own and I messed up the balance. After I made a couple of test
starts and experienced the different feel of his bike, I was able to drive it
down the road. His Python is a bit nose heavy and suffers more from wheelflop
than my Python, but is does ride certainly ok (for the little experience I have
with Pythons).
When I saw Gijs trying his bike and later experienced how I had difficulty to
get away on the same bike, it came to me that it's probably the low speed what
makes it hard to learn. At higher speeds it is so much easier to control the
bike, but a new pythonist isn't able to reach that speed. At 5km/h it is rather
hard, but if you reach something like 10km/h it suddenly becomes easier. So it
looked to me that adjustments in pivot angle, trail, seat position, mass, etc.
doesn't really matter that much for somebody who can ride a Python, but it does
for somebody who is starting to learn. With optimal settings the learning time
might be quite a bit shorter.

We shared ideas, talked about the shortcomings of our bikes and the things we
wanted to add or make differently. Then both of us had the idea about a Python
meeting. Not sure if this will ever happen since Pythonist are scattered around
the world, but meeting a few can be fun and usefull for sharing experiences.
I think it's already mentioned, but would it be possible to have some kind of a
world map with the locations of people with Pythons? Or has it already been
added to the Wiki but did I just miss it?

Patrick

From: gijs_cuppen@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [python] Re: introduce myself
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 13:57:54 +0200

Hi,

Thanks for all the comments so far.. I "rode" it for two days now. the second
day there was a slight improvement of my skills. (although spectators might
have tought otherwise. For me it was quite a trill to witness the balance in
the bike and the forward force.)

Different things have to be changed. First i gonna take care so that the
ergonomics improve. Need to put de BB closer to my seat. For straight lines its
ok but when i want to make a corner make leg is to short. And put the seat in a
more upward position.
I also tested the bike with some bricks in the cargo area (under the seat.)
This added weight made it steer earier. I guess its a combo of more pressure on
the pivot, and lower center of gravity.
The good thing was that the frame didn't have any problem with those bricks
(apr 10kg) So thats the positive side of the bike weight being just under 25kg..

Patrick: I have exactly the same philosophy about my own lack of skills..
(Skills in frame building and in bike riding) I am gonna send you a personal
message, I am sure it can be instructive for me..
From: patrick_van_gompel@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 18:06:26 +0200

Hey,

I must agree with Dirk, I think the position of the the pivot point doesn't
matter for wheel flop. For wheel flop you have to look for the centre of mass
of the front end and the contact point of the tire. The further the centre of
mass it is away from the pivot axis and the closer the contact point is to the
pivot axis, the more wheel flop you will have.

Hoi Gijs, nice to read your story and see your building pictures.
I live only 20km South of Eindhoven, so if you need any help or wanna try my
bike, just ask. I'm still a rather new pythonist myself, but the little
experience I have might be usefull to you. The big question I had was: did I
mess up the bike and is it unrideable, or is it me and do I need to learn how
to use it. I convinced myself it was the latter ;-)
Good luck with learning.

Patrick

Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 12:40:24 +0200
From: dirk.bonne@xxxxxxx
To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [python] Re: FW: introduce myself

    Hi Vi,

    I think this is misleading. Only trail and angle are the important
    design parameterswhere along that axis the pivot is positioned
    should not matter. From the youtube films you posted it is also
    these parameters you changed!

    As far as I can see, the height of the BB is only important related
    to the seat height. I find it difficult to see from the pictures of
    Gijs how seat-BB difference is. At first sight it doesn't look that
    excessive? I guess Gijs should just have a lot of patience.
    Everybody who learned to ride a midsteer bike knows it takes a lot
    of time.

    Dirk

    On 18.09.2011 01:30, Vi Vuong wrote:

        Hi Gijs,

        You may find excessive wheel flop with the BB much higher
          than the pivot.  My first attempt was not ride-able based on
          this design, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lmx_F8RpY2o

        In second attempt, I moved the pivot up to the axle level
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE1zgCftocc
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ursy9LxXlqc

        Vi

                      From:
                      gijsbertusneppuc@xxxxxxx

                      To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                      Subject: introduce myself

                      Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 22:02:07 +0200

                        Hello pythonists,

                          I like to introduce myself on your
                          "mailinglist community". Me and my homebuild
                          bike.

                          I discovered the python-recumbent on a late
                          night surfing session on the internet. I
                          immediatly got excited when i saw the full
                          documented building steps and all the fotos of
                          home builders. I like the lowrider style and
                          the great variousity in looks.. And I thought
                          by myself I (even I) could do this.

                          I am not an engineer or welder. I have a
                          dayjob working with psychiatric patients, and
                          i am living together with my girlfriend and
                          two year old daughter. My technical education
                          is mainly LEGO technic. But i do have a
                          welding machine and a drill and a grinder and
                          some "boerenverstand" (=farmers-logic, Dutch
                          for common sense..).

                          I showed my girlfriend (the next day) the
                          photos en videos on Utube and she saw the
                          Pythoon of Dirk Bonne and she went: " O that
                          is nice for our little daughter!!"

                          Me too, I was impressed by the pythoon, first
                          because of the looks, i love the complexness
                          of all the little tubes. And second for the
                          practical use of the bike.

                          I thought, well if i gonna make one, why not a
                          bike i really like!

                          I hope, Dirk, if you read my mail you will
                          think that i am inspired by the pythoon and
                          not just a lazy copycat... ;-)

                          In the last three weeks i completed the bike.
                          (check: www.tinyurl.com/fietsgijs) Now i only
                          need to do fine tuning and last jobs. Need te
                          do brakes, fine-tune the allignement, paint,
                          seat cover, and so on.

                          Specs: -Pivot Angle 60 degrees (maybe change
                          i'll it, if you have an advice on this
                          subject, let me know!!)

                                     - 2 x 24 INCH tires

                                     - Wheelbase 160

                                    - Weight 23 kg (oef..)

                                    - Front tubing 30 X 20 X 2mm

                                    - Seat height : 40cm

                          The rest i need to measure

                          Now i need to learn to ride it.

                          I discovered that this is really really
                          difficult. First day, I rode two meters max
                          without stepping off.. ( And no i am not gonna
                          put films of this attemps on utube ;-) ) I
                          guess/ hope this is mainly a case off
                          practice. Altough i read on many Python E-
                          stories that a little change on the pivot
                          angle can make a great difference in the
                          ride-ability of the bike.

                          You can see my foto's on internet on
                          www.tinyurl.com/fietsgijs.  You can let me
                          know what you think about it..