[python] Re: advice on buying a brazing torch

  • From: bepb <bepb@xxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 21:06:29 +0100

Hi Marek,
in my experience the the small Propan/Oxygen sets available in home stores may be cheap to buy but very expensive to operate because the gas is extremly expensive compared to the "standard" containers for standard acythlene/Oxygen torches. If your Project goes anyway like my Python, you will have to braze a lot more than you expect now. None the less, before making a decission you should consider the potentional the hazards of storing 10 l /10 l Acythlene/Oxygene in close quarters, specialy cellars. If you go for a acythlene/Oxygene torch, maybe you also can save using sliver brazing rods and go for cheaper material.

The cheapest way of brazing steel tubes I can think of is using a TCAW torch. It comrises of a handle with to carbon elektrodes connected to a simple AC stick welding equipment. The arc burns between the carbon elektrodes and, while the thing is a bit crude, it can be used like a acythylene/oxygene torch. I brazed a luggage rack for a Motorbike some 20 years ago and it worked out well. It had cost some 15 DM at the time and worked with the cheapest of AC Stick welding equipment. It also allowed to use brass brazing rods instead of sliver rods. Havend seen this kind of device for some time - maybe it is not used any more, check out savety instructions. (The thing produce extreme UV-Radiaton)
(So much for the cheap version)

While all this is feasible, I myself went ahead and got myself a Wig Welding Equipment. Makes clean welds, and avoids the potential hazards of having to store acythylene / Oxygen. I even used it for brazing - but only because the item has been brazed before. The drawback, I have to admit is the price.

I never used a flux Core Mig - but I would suggest to check out the welding forums or mailing lists, if I remember correctly, flux core not suitable for thin tubes.

Maybe it will help you.

Best regards
Gerald

bnmm@xxxxxxx wrote:
Listies,

Kevin Bailey wrote:
It looks like there's no oxygen supply and I'm not aware of
any gas that gets terribly hot without an oxygen supply.
Yes, I had a hunch in that direction, but hoped there was a way out. I'll have to buy a acetylene/oxygene welding torch for silver soldering as Dan suggested.

Are you opposed to using a MIG welder with flux core? Very cheap, easy to learn, easy to use and fast.
Yes Chris, for two reasons:

1. I'd prefer to use a welding torch so I can undo/alter/reuse things more easily. Though I'd like to built some sort of (say, pythonesque...) recumbent for my everyday use eventually, I'm into experimenting mostly, so building a new construction for every new idea will be costly and time consuming. With welded stuff I'd need to cut it into pieces for reuse.

2. I once worked with a MIG welder (no flux core) and had a hard time to weld reclaimed bike tubes (cheap, light weight, and I like the optics). Those are mostly thinner that square tubes (~2-2.5 mm, isn't it?) many use for pythons. Is it just me? I had only some days' practice. Is bike tube handling by MIG feasible with more practice?

John Lewis I now tend to use a small DC arc welder and find this,
with practice, does a good job.
For silver soldering? MIG-Brazing Machines as they sell at http://lorch.biz/index.php?id=291&L=1 start with around 1500.- EUR. ...I'm to cheapskate for that, besides, a tech rep for the company told me that undoing/altering connections afterwards is not feasible with these machines.

Sorry for being a crank about this, but my neighbours will be a bit nervous when they see me working with those large grey and blue gas bottles in the basement (and I'm to tight to use the small ones that are finished in half an hour), so I'd prefer either a propane bottle or something electrical, but seemingly I'm better off renting a shop elsewhere so I can torch away at will. Who wants neighbours around anyway? ...just joking.

Cheers,
Marek

Marek Möhling
Naunynstr. 82