[python] Re: advice on buying a brazing torch

  • From: "bnmm@xxxxxxx" <bnmm@xxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 17:02:22 +0100

Listies,

Kevin Bailey wrote:
It looks like there's no oxygen supply and I'm not aware of
any gas that gets terribly hot without an oxygen supply.
Yes, I had a hunch in that direction, but hoped there was a way out. I'll have
to buy a acetylene/oxygene welding torch for silver soldering as Dan suggested.

Are you opposed to using a MIG welder with flux core? Very cheap, easy to learn, easy to use and fast.
Yes Chris, for two reasons:

1. I'd prefer to use a welding torch so I can undo/alter/reuse things more
easily. Though I'd like to built some sort of (say, pythonesque...) recumbent
for my everyday use eventually, I'm into experimenting mostly, so building a
new construction for every new idea will be costly and time consuming. With
welded stuff I'd need to cut it into pieces for reuse.

2. I once worked with a MIG welder (no flux core) and had a hard time to weld
reclaimed bike tubes (cheap, light weight, and I like the optics). Those are
mostly thinner that square tubes (~2-2.5 mm, isn't it?) many use for pythons.
Is it just me? I had only some days' practice. Is  bike tube handling by MIG
feasible with more practice?

John Lewis I now tend to use a small DC arc welder and find this,
with practice, does a good job.
For silver soldering? MIG-Brazing Machines as they sell at
http://lorch.biz/index.php?id=291&L=1 start with around 1500.- EUR. ...I'm to
cheapskate for that, besides, a tech rep for the company told me that
undoing/altering connections afterwards is not feasible with these machines.

Sorry for being a crank about this, but my neighbours will be a bit nervous
when they see me working with those large grey and blue gas bottles in the
basement (and I'm to tight to use the small ones that are finished in half an
hour), so I'd prefer either a propane bottle or something electrical, but
seemingly I'm better off renting a shop elsewhere so I can torch away at will.
Who wants neighbours around anyway? ...just joking.

Cheers,
Marek

Marek Möhling
Naunynstr. 82