[python] Re: advice on buying a brazing torch

  • From: Kevin Bailey <ke-python@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 20:18:10 -0800

On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 12:12:48AM +0100, bnmm@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Listies,
>

> I need a brazing torch to work with reclaimed bike steel tubes. Would
> something like this from ebay http://tinyurl.com/yfqc52k do? It's for
> propane only, has 1800°C max and 800°C operating temperature, max tube
> diameter for hard-soldering is 22 mm; the nozzle's diameter seems to be 24
> mm (do I need more?). I wouldn't mind to spend (a little) more to have
> some margin with thicker tubes, though I'm vary of going full monty with
> acetylene/oxygen--I do shop in the basement and take it that propane is
> safer and easier to handle.

It looks like there's no oxygen supply and I'm not aware of
any gas that gets terribly hot without an oxygen supply.
You could solder pipes with that, but I don't know about
brazing. Not sure if they sell Bernzomatic in your country
but either way, there ought to exist cheap mapp/oxygen kits
that will braze bicycle frames.