[python] Re: Vedr.: Sketches of four-bar-linkage design

  • From: Jürgen Mages <jmages@xxxxxx>
  • To: <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 20:22:39 +0200

> As long as the front wheel pulls the bike, the bike won't colapse or
> feel unstable. That's why the bike works fine when pedalling (this
> statement is protected with the usual "IMO" disclaimer).

This is true. No problems pedalling with 45 km/h on a flat road.

> But when riding downhill, the rear is pushing the front part. The rear
> is heavier and thus wants to go faster than the front part. This effect
> is simulary to pushing a shopping cart: there too the wheels want to
> flip over.

This effect increases with lots of luggage behind me.
Also keep in mind, that e.g. on a 16% slope, the steering angle
changes and the "pendulum effect" vanishes.

> May be slightly breaking on the rear wheel in such a situation could
> test this little theory. If the bike feels stable again, then it would
> be affirmed.

Pedalling is a good remedy, I have learned.
So far, no differences found when braking rear or front wheel.

> To solve the problem, you should sit on the front part.

:-)
RWS must be real fun and I would like to try it once.
But this cannot be the solution because I want to steer my
bikes without hands and this is not possible with RWS.

Regards from Jürgen.