[python] Re: Vedr.: Sketches of four-bar-linkage design

  • From: Dirk Bonne <dirk_bonne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 11:54:45 +0200

Jürgen Mages wrote:

I tried the negative trail with the python, to avoid
this. The result is surprisingly satisfying,
but downhills with speed above 50 km/h I miss the
safe feeling of a bike with positive trail.

While we are busy with wild ideas, there may be also another solution then going 4bl:

As long as the front wheel pulls the bike, the bike won't colapse or feel unstable. That's why the bike works fine when pedalling (this statement is protected with the usual "IMO" disclaimer).

But when riding downhill, the rear is pushing the front part. The rear is heavier and thus wants to go faster than the front part. This effect is simulary to pushing a shopping cart: there too the wheels want to flip over.

May be slightly breaking on the rear wheel in such a situation could test this little theory. If the bike feels stable again, then it would be affirmed.

To solve the problem, you should sit on the front part.

Then the back part will want to trail behind the front part. This means of course to go for a rear wheel steering. And if there is something equally impossible as negative trail, it is rear wheel steering. ...So would this not be the perfect experiment? ;-)

Dirk

PS: there is nothing that goes over experiencing, and hopefully I will soon be able to do exactly that :-) ... got most the materials needed to build, got the pivot, now I only need time!