[python] Re: Unstable ride

  • From: Vi Vuong <vi_vuong@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 11:33:02 -0700 (PDT)

The pole and camera are only ~2 lbs, which I can hold with my hand & arm and
are quite a workout after a while (full body exercise?).  An elbow brace/strap
would help.

Yes, the wobbling is mostly from loose mount / flexing, but the camera is high
enough(10 ft) to change the lean angle of the bike.  Yes, I do need the whole
street for the experiment like when I first learn to ride, which leads me to
consider the setup in advanced / accelerated training.  Does it simulate sudden
lost of control?  Can it amplify or counteract pedal/steering interference?
 Chaotic double pendulum? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_pendulum.

So far, riding more difficult configurations makes me appreciate easier ones,
but not sure of what aspects of the improvement...

Vi

>________________________________

    problem: On the pythoon there is now a strong luggage rack over the
    rear wheel. Even with my son in the box and a weeks worth of
    shopping on the rack the feel of the ride is changed in only minor
    way.

>The cog on Vi's ride cannot have changed much with that pole, as the
    weight isn't that high (Vi is able to hold tahat same pole
    horizontally on another video).

>DirkB
>
>On 28.07.2011 07:43, dirk@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi Vi,
>>
>>might the reason be your heavy weight camera extension, that shifts the cog
>>far to high?
>>if that rod is flexing due to its length, it might be counteracting your
>>cycling....
>>
>>greetings,
>>DirkS
>>

>>Vi Vuong <vi_vuong@xxxxxxxxx> hat am 27. Juli 2011 um 18:09 geschrieben:
>>
>>> While videoing the top view of Guinea Pig, I stumbled on a
        really unstable dynamics mode, sort of an inverted pendulum
        (10-foot + tripod head, compact
        camera) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SAaxS2_LwI.  It feels like gust
wind blasting from all direction...

>>> The motion calms down later as I got a hang of it, seems to
        be controllable if it sinks with the pedaling / python motion.
         Let me know if anyone is interested in a more systematic study.