[python] Re: Steering Pivots Survey

  • From: Ray Schumacher <mtb@xxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 07:30:46 -0700

At 06:31 AM 9/15/2006, you wrote:

I'll be using a pair of these (or similar). They are designed for the
steering in autos. They let you adjust steering angle. You'll find them on Lennart's pajton.

Rod end bearings I guess. The rubber seems to be a sealing to protect the ball bearings.

They are plain, spherical pressed bearings

Although not useful for the main pivot, check out this tie rod:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_23630_23630
Northern Tool has a lot of go-cart parts online: hubs, differentials etc.

Also see:
http://www.tperformance.com/street_rods/swap_meet/

For the survey I am especially interested in the weight and the
long term durability of the various pivot types.

E.g. the cup and cone BBs are really bad. My wife?s P1 now has a pivot
play of about 3 degrees. It is still rideable, but tends to wobble
during fast downhills.

I found that my ball/cone BB needed adjustment to keep zero play, but it was also very easy and accessible. I bet that the stamped outer race deforms under python's heavy loads, whereas the cartridge type is harder material. It might be worth other's time to heat and quench the race to harden it more.

My new RWD LWB full-suspension bent is coming along. I'll finish the mono-shock front end this weekend and the rear is almost done.
The big debate, again, is head angle!
I ordered Dr. Bill Patterson's book "Lords of the Chainring"
http://www.calpoly.edu/~wpatters/lords.html
and sent him some email, as his equations
Trail = (R*sin(b)-S)/cos(b)
Minimum Trail = K5*(B/M)*(1/h2 + 1/Kx2 )
http://www.calpoly.edu/~wpatters/wave2.html
recommend _very_ long trail for the bent design.
My stability program shows a couple of "sweet spots" and is quite different than his equations, but his equations are derived from testing his student's projects
http://www.calpoly.edu/~wpatters/class.html
and include rider input dynamics and "feel" as well.

I agree that emoticons are just shorthand for well written language, and don't like to use them ;-)

Ray