[python] Re: Question for the experts

  • From: George Durbridge <gdurbrid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 08:20:43 +1000

On Sat, 2006-07-15 at 15:50 -0400, Recumbent Country wrote:
> I am thinking of building a Tadpole Trike using 2 front ends of a python
> linked together, for the steering  and using a standard setup for the
> rest of the trike.
>
> What I am wondering is, if this will work before I build it.

I have never met such a beast, but it would have problems.  A python
tilts to steer and returns toward the upright position, partly because
of the steering mechanism, but a trike remains upright and does not
tilt, because it has three wheels on the ground.  The tadpole-python
would not tilt (at least, the rider would not tilt) so it could not be
controlled by leaning, as a Python can.  You could add a leaning
mechanism for the rider, but they tend to be complex, to avoid the trike
falling over at rest.

If it did work at all, it would have further problems.  At hard lock,
the front wheels would be displaced towards the inside of the corner by
a distance comparable to their radius (ignoring any gap between the
pivot and the wheel, at 30 degrees left lock, the front edges of both
wheels will move left from their straight ahead positions by half their
diameter).  This is bad both ergonomically (wheels interfering with your
legs) and dynamically (centre of gravity effectively shifted outwards
when cornering).

Can you provide a fuller description of what layout you have in mind,
and what you hope it will achieve?

--
George Durbridge
+61 3 9481 3500