[python] Re: Python Stability Continued

  • From: George Durbridge <gdurbrid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 23:04:11 +1000

Peter,

Thanks for raising these issues.

Some people find (some) pythons easy to ride. A friend built a python,
which I could not ride at all (I spent most of a day falling off it) and
he could barely ride (straight line only) but two other friends, each
with a lot of experience riding low racers, but none on pythons, got
onto it and rode away. Since most people can ride Cruzbikes pretty
readily, I think a lot of the difficulty of riding a python is just that
it is a low racer. The fact that low racers in general are hard to learn
to ride is one of several lines of evidence suggesting that most bikes
are in fact kept upright by continuous rider input.

I think you are much too sanguine about the effects of wheel-flop on
stability. As you can see with a stationary or very slowly moving bike,
wheel-flop, however moderate, causes instability unless corrected. The
stabilizing effect you describe is not wheel-flop pure and simple, but
an interaction between moderate wheel-flop and a corrective centrifugal
force. My experience with choppers and the like is that higher than
normal wheel-flop makes bikes unrideable, at moderate speeds. At higher
speeds, such a bike may become rideable. Some dynamic factor must be
increasing with speed, at some point overcoming wheel-flop, which is a
static effect and doesn't increase with speed. One candidate is
centrifugal force, which increases with speed. Another is the squirm of
a tyre running at an angle to the direction of travel, which also
increases with speed.

The observation that pythons become harder to control at still higher
speeds indicates that a third force is at work, this one destabilizing,
and seemingly also increasing with speed. This observation seems to
apply to python trikes, as well as bikes, which should narrow the field.

I take it your swing seat would have a vertical pivot at the rear, and
the front of the seat supported on a mechanism which allowed it to pivot
so that the seat and the rider's body lay on a line from that pivot to
the bottom bracket? In that layout, pedalling would obviously tend to
push the front end back to the straight ahead position, but (a) the
rider would have to permit the front end to point in the direction of
steering, and (b) this illustrates that to manage a python at all, the
rider needs to exercise fairly fine control over the effects of
pedalling on steering: why is this control not already sufficient?

George