[python] Re: Position of Steering Pivot Axis

  • From: George Durbridge <gdurbrid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 07 Jan 2006 07:45:09 +1100

On Sat, 2006-01-07 at 07:31, Jürgen Mages wrote:
> > Bringing the pivot back to the rider's hips will tend to reduce
> > the torque, but putting the pivot behind the rider would reduce it even
> > further.
>
> That´s what I thought too, but until I built the PX.5:
>
> http://www.python-lowracer.de/pics/Python%20PX.5.jpg
>
> The pivot is behind the rider. I could ride this bike but PSI was
> clearly noticeable and annoying.

Thanks for the picture, which is interesting, but you would only have
reduced the torque by about 10% by moving the pivot from your hips to
just behind the seat.  All other things being equal, the torque will be
inversely proportional (roughly) to the distance from the pivot to the
bottom bracket, and won't disappear at any point.

I'm not clear about what other factors will be relevant, so I don't know
what questions to ask about the PX.5.  For example, is the distance from
the bottom bracket to the front wheel contact patch important?