[python] Re: Position of Steering Pivot Axis

  • From: Olaf Johansson <noll@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 18:31:09 +0100

On 6 jan 2006, at 13.41, Jürgen Mages wrote:

Hello all,

after one of the most urgent questions in "python physics" has been
solved last year ("What is the perfect steering pivot angle?"),
I want to push the solution of another crucial issue:

"Does the pivot axis have to go through the middle between both
hip joints in order to minimize pedalling/steering interferences (PSI)?"

To gather the infos I have set up a new site:
http://www.python-lowracer.de/modifications.html
Some pictures are already there.

On a unicycle you have to sit on top of the contact patch between tyre and ground. It is from this position you make small balance corrections in all four directions. This fixed position of the seat is required even if you design a recumbent unicycle as Erik Kolb has done

http://www.einart.de/einrad2.jpg

You steer a unicycle with a combination of leaning, twisting your hips/waist and an increasing pressure on one of the pedals. The axle around which you turn goes right through your body up through the crown of your head.

So the "steering pivot" on a unicycle is the hip and waist of the rider.

Pedalling/steering interference are mostly related to:

- wheel size
- crank length
- pedalling technique

A bigger wheel (like my 36" on the picture) is more steady and is not so sensitive to pedalling power input as a small wheel. Probably due to its weight and mass.

Longer cranks gives you superb leverage but makes the ride more wobbly. They are ideal for muni (mountain unicycling) where you want to go uphill and through thick mud (yummy ...)

Er, what was the question ...? Ah yes, pivot axle through hip joints ... well I assume that you included the picture of the unicycle in order to imply that this correlation might be important. And perhaps it is. But I don't think comparing with a unicycle is rewarding since it is a completely different breed than pythons.

A two wheeler you have to build so it functions well with the riders body - unicycling on the other hand is done almost solely with your body.

As a matter of fact there are a lot of cycling related problems and complexities you don't have to care about on unicycles, that's one reason I love them!

olaf - lazy bugger

Any ideas?