[python] Re: New Speed Record

  • From: Vi Vuong <vi_vuong@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 01:14:31 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Patrick and All,

I actually started rendering with tadpole trike (python w/ 2 front wheels), but
the shell came out very wide if the wheels are enclosed (32in track).  Plus, I
don't know how to make a tadpole (yet), thus the existing bike frame is used,
so I can focus on the shell.  I figure if the body is divided into 3 pieces and
articulates with the frame, then leg clearance, turning radius, and mounting
may be less problematic with a narrower shell, perhaps too narrow as rendered.
 The middle section can be flexible skin to accommodate the arms.  Didn't think
of cross wind yet, and whether sticks or outriggers can handle it...

Another goal for the shell is shading, especially when the weather is nice :)
 I will probably start with the shady helmet / wind shield first (top piece).
 The front piece is probably most challenging, not sure if this recycled bottle
idea would
work, http://a-el.blogspot.com/2011/01/sculptures-unique-statue-made-from.html

As for practicality, this technical exercise will probably lead to a commute
trike w/ electric assist going under 20mph legal speed in a bike lane (car
replacement).  Shell construction techniques will also feed the water /
amphibian bike, which is more needed for the cold water, but it is many steps
away...

Thanks for your suggestions; more are welcome :)

Vi

>________________________________

 (like a windvane).
>-What material for the shell are you planning to use? As an alternative to
>fibreglass, this site might be usefull:
>http://www.recumbents.com/mars/pages/proj/tetz/OFS/projtetzOFS.html ; Not sure
>whether you are able to find recycled foam, but you can always ask companies
>for leftovers. ;-)
>
>Happy building and I hope you keep us updated with your inspiring ideas,
>Patrick
>

>________________________________
>Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 23:11:15 -0700
>From: vi_vuong@xxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [python] Re: New Speed Record
>To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

>Hi Jürgen,
>

>Can you ask Matthias from Kahla for some specs / measurements, that are track
>specific, such as 650c/700c rims and gearing?  Is pacemake a veloshell,
>electric-assist motor, or some sort of go-fast device?  The word "fear"
>appears in Google translation a few times, so mental training must be key to
>going fast.
>

>I read somewhere that there is a cadence limit beyond which our mind cannot
>keep up with the feet (pedal/steering interference), which can vary from
>person to person.  However, it seems that python is capable of going fast
>enough with training, where drag becomes a limitation (20mph, 30km/h), and
>that a velomobile shell may help.  Here is my CAD work so far, but not sure
>how to make it out of recycled materials yet, but I am planning to use sticks
>or outrigger to start / stop.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvfVLi8m9po. A
>water / amphibian version is coming...
>
>Vi

>>Sent: Sunday, August 14, 2011 1:41 PM
>>Subject: [python] New Speed Record
>>
>>For those who understand German: There is an interesting thread going on
>>the german recumbent forum:
>>
>>http://www.velomobilforum.de/forum/showthread.php?28186-Python-Lowracer
>>
>>Matthias from Kahla states that he reached with his python 95 km/h
>>(about 60 mph) on a racing track with pacemaker. He also manages FAST
>>downhills by keeping pedaling while slightly rear
 braking.

>>Sadly there is no picture of his
 bike.