[python] Re: Long wheelbase and handling

  • From: Kelvin Arthur <kelvin.arthur@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2014 09:58:24 +1300

Hi all

It would seem that now is the time to post the python I built a couple of
years back.  I named it pythonui as I live in NZ and the New Zealand
indigenous language is Maori and the word for big or large is nui.

It went through a number of versions, the first three had 'normal' back
ends of different lengths.  It was built around Jurgen's instructions on
python-lowracer.de

The first was built tough to withstand being crashed every thirty seconds,
and they got more refined until this final version.  I used 12mm tie rod
ends for the pivot, and while I started with a 65 degree pivot, I altered
it in this version to 63.5 degrees to increase the centering effect of the
pendulum.

The figures:  wheelbase: 2040mm, total length: 3000mm, trail: -260mm, BB
height: 490mm, seat height: 380mm, ground clearance: 170mm, weight: 25Kg
(yes it is heavy!), rear tray: 800x400mm.

Being so long, it turns like a supertanker, taking a full road width to
turn around.  Having the trailer on the back allowed me to carry 2
children, it makes it really heavy, but they sure love it!  They learned
*very* quickly that if they wobbled me it would come close to a crash!  So
they sat still and enjoyed it.  I would recommend that you have the child
seated lower than I did as it will affect the handling less.  The benefit
of the trailer on the back is that it had the tendency to stretch the
python, making it more stable.  Having said that it prefer riding it
without the trailer as that adds a lot of weight.  The length reduced the
natural twitchyness of the python a lot.

When I made it I just made a whole new back end and bolted my existing
front end on.