[python] Re: Lean disturbances (and Dirk's code)

  • From: Ray Schümacher <mtb@xxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 08:40:31 -0800

At 11:54 AM 3/2/2005 +0100, you wrote:
>>How about cyan?
>
>I still prefer yellow ;-)
>Red-Yellow-Green is quite an international sequence I suppose.

It was programming laziness. For some odd reason yellow is not a stock brush
color in wx.

>BTW: You measure the pivot angle against the vertical. From
>all other sources that I know, it is measured against the
>horizontal, (like seat back angle).

Yes, I should change it. Hand's paper used that convention.

>Anyway great thanks for your app. It is very usable now and
>I will do lots of investigation with it, giving you feedback
>how close it is to reality...

Thanks, I also just realized, from looking at Olaf's image, what I missed that
night in the turn geometry code (at least one thing I missed!).  The contact
patch "moves around the tire" as you turn, proportional to head angle. The
farther from vertical the pivot, the more the trail increases with turn, in a
rather complex geometry since the wheel sweeps out a torus and further
increases the head angle. Thus Dirk's inclusion of wheel size; he also
mentioned the need for iterative solution due to the frame rise. If the head
angle is small (from horizontal), then that factor is significant.
My code was only correct for the case of tiny wheels or skis.

Ray