[python] Re: AW: Re: Questions about Python-Trike geometry (project similar to Howard Stevens foldable Python trike)

  • From: Frank Schmaus <frank.schmaus@xxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 15:53:34 +0200

Thanks for the input. I anyhow have to place the backwheels far behind, to be able to roll the collapsed box around and still have enough room for my laguage. But somehow I thought the wheelbase should not be too wide as it will increase the danger of tilting to the side, the more lengthy the triangle of the wheel becomes.

Traction is an important issue for me, as I have one specific track in mind, that I will use quite often, that is a steep mountain road. That's also why I prefer a trike with 20 inch wheels instead of a small foldable bike with a trailer. The trike can be run as slow as you like, if the gear is choosen well.

Am 28.07.2011 15:07, schrieb Gerald:
Hi,
based on my own expirience with a Python trike, I suggest to aim for more weight on the front wheel, if possibe ~50% on the front wheel, ~25% on the rear wheel. Otherwise going uphill will give problems with traction. This can be archieved by place the rear axle/wheels far enough back, behind the seat about as far as for a two wheel python.
For the pivot angel, I made good expirience with 50 degree.

Gerald