[python] Re: AW: Re: Python waterbike? / Hydro Foil Python.

  • From: Vi Vuong <vi_vuong@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2011 12:48:42 -0700 (PDT)

I hope land-bound pythonauts don't mind the water diversion, and only plan to
"swim" in calm water at a slower speed than on "slithering" on land, more like
this one fish vehicle, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIdR0YsqYkc

However, if speed is desired, there is also plenty of wind power to pull
hydrofoil, like this one in Maui
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oyWMusaDTI.  The foil kayak pointed out is also
a great achievement with arm power.  The legs have much more power than arms,
if we can find a way to apply it...

For long distance, Greg probably has gone far... (http://adventuresofgreg.com)

Vi

>________________________________

 of the legs is more than you could do just with the upper torso and arms,
powering a hydrofoil by pedaling should be possible.
>Now the feat would be to have a python that is good in both, running on land
>with wheels and running on water with hydrofoils.
>
>Up to know I have given this concept just a cursory glance.
>But I think that, If one would want to go forward with the idea, the following
>points should be considered:
>*In practice only the hydrofoils will not be enough to go on water. You will
>need buoyancy to keep you above water if you stop pedaling. I would assume
>about 130 liters of buoyancy at a minimum.
>*You need a proposition system more efficient than just the front wheel
>wheeling through the water.
>*You need to consider stability, both in motion and in standstill. You will
>have to balance the bike on water because you wont be able to support it with
>you hand.
>*The compromises required for buoyancy and proposition bear
 great risk of making the bike both, poor on land and poor on water.

>Since the next suitable lake is some 40 km form where I live, and considering
>that going around it with the normal python is most probable still a lot
>faster than going through with some kind of water bike, I think my python will
>stay land bound for know :-).
>
>Gerald
>
>On 5.8.11 17:08 , pybuen@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> Hi Vi,
>>
>> The Hydrofoil motorbike already exists:
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wObflyTPLvM&playnext=1&list=PL729F9C5AE2D4C44E
>>

>> It seems to be using the same balancing principle as a bike to turn -
>> another confirmation that gyroscopic effects are unimportant...
>>
>> You'd have to go pretty fast (or burn
 many calories) to make a waterpython version of this indeed... I look forward
to it ;)

>> Pascal
>>

>> On Fri, 5 Aug 2011, Gerald wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Vi,
>>> nice picture, may be possible with the python too. The question is, if
>>> weight so high above the driver would not make the python unrideable.
>>>
>>> But maybe it is possible to put hydro foils on the python. One pair right
>>> and left off the front wheel, an other pair left and right off the rear
>>> wheel.
>>> Maybe the foils could be made to fold away for land usage.
>>>
>>> But wait - if you can't put enough power to the bike or stop peadaling you
>>> will sink fast - very fast.
>>> Getting startet will be difficult too.
>>>
>>> Gerald

 Chears,