[pure-silver] Re: wide-angle lens for 4x5

  • From: Howard Efner <hfefner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 08:27:38 -0600

At 07:37 AM 10/18/2005, you wrote:

Hi, I am supposed to do some architectural photography in the coming month, and I am thinking about borrowing or buying a wider format lens than the one I'm accustomed to shooting with. Right now I have a 150mm lens. What would be a good length to look for? I will be shooting in a prison near Houston called The Walls.

Shannon, do you have bag bellows for your camera? Without them, the conventional bellows are too tightly compressed to allow for little or any camera movements. Also the bellows may prevent focusing with some of the shorter focal length lenses.

If you could borrow or rent, it could save a bunch of money until you see what you need and want. A couple of suggestions from the used market would be:

1. 75mm Super Angulon - will cover 4x5 with limited movement. Nice for tight locations. Not too bulky or heavy.

2.  90mm Super Angulon - will cover 5x7.  Bulkier than the 75 and heavier.

3. 90mm Angulon (coated) covers 4x5 but camera moves are really limited. There are good ones out there for not too much $. Small and light weight.

4. 120 or 121 Angulon - covers 5x7. Small and light weight. Again, you want a coated version. Not too much $ again.

There are a plethora of other lenses out there - newer Schneider ($$$$), Rodenstock equivalents, Fuji wide lenses ( good optics) and the Nikkor W series.

Not a good time to jump in the water ;-) since we have snow on the peaks already.