[pure-silver] Re: what causes pinholes in emulsion?

  • From: Elias Roustom <elroustom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 21:54:08 -0500

Could you be getting air bubbles? Presoaks help. Two drops of (low foam) wetting agent in the developer help.

+/- 2 degrees, between dev & stop or fix, or even more isn't going to affect anything.
Cooler stop and fix reduces their effectiveness, that's about it.

I keep a thermometer in developer, and one in my stop or fix at all times while processing. I try really hard to keep everything at 68, but if my stop or fix go above or under by a little, I don't worry too much about it.

Hey Bob, I wish I had your problem, I always have to heat things up. It's amazing how fast my chems go cold some days. Seems it takes longer for a cool solution to heat up, than for a hot solution to cool down.

I'm at the point during winter where I've begun to exchange my usual curses with "Cold Weather!"

Elias

On Feb 20, 2009, at 6:03 PM, Shannon Stoney wrote:

I live in the tropics sometimes. It's tropical in summer here. I think I processed that film in the winter, though, when it wasn't all that hot in Houston. I always use developer at 70 degrees or so, but I don't always check the temperature of the stop.

Maybe I should.

--shannon

On Feb 20, 2009, at 4:33 PM, BOB KISS wrote:

DEAR SHANNON,
I live in the tropics and always cool my film processing chems down to 68 – 70 ° F when I use a stop bath. One of my students insisted that he could use D-76, stop and fix at room temp, 85 ° F, simply by reducing the dev time. He got the contrast right but had many pinholes. Is this a temperature issue for you?
                        CHEERS!
                                    BOB

 From: Shannon Stoney <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 Date: Fri, February 20, 2009 12:32 pm
 To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

 I am printing some film that I shot over a year ago, and there are
lots of pinholes in the emulsion. At first I thought it was the brand
 of film, and one roll did seem worse than the others: the Bergger
 roll. But the problem is on the FP4+ negatives too. Maybe it was
 something in my processing that day? I seem to remember that if the
temperature difference between the developer and stop is too much, like
 if the developer is warm and the stop is really cold, it can happen.
 Is that right?

 --shannon

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 3874 (20090220) __________

http://www.eset.com