[pure-silver] Re: what causes pinholes in emulsion?

  • From: Russ Gorman <rusty57@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 11:44:48 -0800

Extreme temperature differences can cause problems like reticulation and maybe pinholes, or missing chunks of emulsion. I think pinholes are more likely caused by using a strong acid stop bath- I use only plain water for stop bath with film. In paper the gasses formed going from base to acid can escape through the fibers, but not so easily through the plastic film base.

On Feb 20, 2009, at 11:32 AM, Shannon Stoney wrote:

I am printing some film that I shot over a year ago, and there are lots of pinholes in the emulsion. At first I thought it was the brand of film, and one roll did seem worse than the others: the Bergger roll. But the problem is on the FP4+ negatives too. Maybe it was something in my processing that day? I seem to remember that if the temperature difference between the developer and stop is too much, like if the developer is warm and the stop is really cold, it can happen. Is that right?

--shannon