[pure-silver] Re: suggestions

  • From: Graham Hughes <graham@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 11:58:51 -0800

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 08:41, Antonio Banfi <
antoniomarioenrico.banfi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  I have absolutely no experience with Xtol, but I purchased some of it to
> develop rolls of tmax 3200 exposed @ 1600. I was mumbling about the
> following questions:
>
> 1)      Whats the advantage in diluting xtol instead of using the stock?
>
> 2)      Given the stock time, there is a way to calculate the “diluted
> time”?
>
> 3)      Any suggestion from your personal experience?
>
> 4)      Last but not least, using a normal (non tmax) fixer, I must
> increase the fixing time?

Supposedly XTol is better at pushing and a sharper developer at 1+1 or
especially 1+3, although there's some concern about the stuff flatlining on
you at 1+3 if your water is crappy (which is why the Kodak datasheets only
go to 1+1).  The contrast curve changes slightly and it's a little grainier,
but it produces really attractive results in my experience.  The only reason
IMHO to use it at stock strength is if you're trying to do replenishment.

There's times out there for 1+3 in the dev chart.  I'm not aware of any
formulae per se but you can probably reconstruct one from the dev chart.

I'm not aware of it needing any additional fixing time.

Graham