[pure-silver] Re: pure-silver Digest V1 #114

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 18:20:09 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adrienne Moumin" <photowonder2010@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 03, 2005 4:24 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: pure-silver Digest V1 #114

> Speaking of "environmental pollutants," does anyone know
> whether highly
> chlorinated water affects film or print processing?  I'm
> installing 5-micron
> rag filters which purportedly don't filter chlorine, and I
> can find no
> information on this subject.  Any takers?
>
> Thanks,
> Adrienne
>
> (feverishly painting her new darkroom!!!!!!!!!!)

   A, what kind of paint are you using? The gasses emmitted
by some paint, certainly oil paint, are very bad for
photographic materials and displayed prints. I am not sure
about latex base paint. Several weeks are needed for the
outgassing to be completed.

   AFAIK, Chlorine and Chloramine have little or no effect
on photographic chemicals. Chlorine is destroyed by hypo.
Boiling water will drive of the Chlorine, which is a
dissolved gas. Chloramine, which is a newer material used by
many water suppliers, is not affected by boiling, it it can
be removed with an activated charcoal filter, like a Brita
filter.

---