[pure-silver] Re: D76 vs Tmax developer

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 18:15:38 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Randall" <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 03, 2005 3:53 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] D76 vs Tmax developer

> Does anyone know what differences to expect when using
> these two developers
> on the same film stock.

   I've used both. The main difference I see is slightly
coarser grain with T-Max. Those who like the sharp grain
pattern of Rodinal will find a similar kind of grain, but
finer, with T-Max. I did not see much difference in tonal
rendition although the published curves do show some
differences. I was working mainly with full strength T-Max
RS in a replenished system. One other difference noted
recently when I was looking at fog levels of old negatives
is that the fog level seemed a little lower. This may be a
result of bromide accumulation in the replenished developer
vs: fresh, diluted D-76. IMO, T-Max RS is a good general
purpose developer and a very good pushing developer. I've
never used T-Max (not RS), which is similar but not the
same.

---