[pure-silver] Re: [pure-silver]: [ANNOUNCEMENT]: The End Of An Era

  • From: Ron Schwarz <rs@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 08:23:50 -0400

08:53 AM 9/11/2004 +0100, Geoff Taylor wrote:

>> OTOH, at the rate folks seem intent on getting his goat, perhaps I
>> could prevail upon my wife to share her recent bounty?
>>
>> http://www.michi-kogaku.com/picsdir/Goats/Default.htm
>>
>> Hey, COOL  Ron. Which one's called Billy Goat Gruff?

The only one that was ever named was named by me, after a former employee
whom he resembled in both visage and temperament.

We finally had our fill of him and exchanged him for a fist full of
dollars.  I suspect he filled a few others shortly thereafter.

The irony of our Goat Endeavors is that years ago, I said something to the
tune of, "Now that we've got a nice place in the country, I'd like to raise
a few goats, for meat."  I'd eaten goat meat once, having purchased a small
quantity of it on a whim.  I found it to taste like lamb, but with much
more flavor, and much less grease.

As of this time, I have yet to taste a single morsel of goat meat, some
five or six years into the endeavor.  What I had intended as "livestock"
seem to have morphed into "pets", primarily at my wife's behest.  The same
has occurred with the ducks and geese.

Often heard expression in these parts: "They're so *cute*!"

My other plan -- to have them serve as lawnmowers (a task to which they are
uniquely qualified, since they thrive on grass -- a better grade of
provender than hay -- and, they, unlike sheep, will trim the lawn down to
the perfect height) -- has been categorically denied, because, "We don't
want people to see goats walking around the yard!"

Oh, well.  There's still the chickens...

--
         Website: http://www.michi-kogaku.com/