[pure-silver] Re: making ground glass

  • From: Robert Hall <robert.g.hall@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Pure-Silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 10:25:55 -0600

I have never heard of a Jigsaw blade that would successfully cut glass.

Robert Hall
www.RobertHall.com
www.RobertHall.com/workshops
www.facebook.com/robert.g.hall

On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 10:23 AM, <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

What I have seems to be working, but it is a mess. Locally I have no idea
where I could get the silicon carbide. It would have to be ordered, but
that is not total road block.

My biggest potential problem I think is going to be cutting the glass to
fit. The glass I am using is left over from another project, and
truthfully I don't remember what kind of glass I used. I have never been
able to get any kind of straight cut with the scoring method. It never
breaks right for me. It looks easy and I am sure its something to do with
the way I apply pressure to break it. Really doesn't matter. What ever
the reason I stink at that.

If it was some form of laminated glass cutting with the right blade and a
jigsaw should be no problem if I take my time. Frame glass and I think it
might work. Might crack, but maybe not. Depends on how much temper was in
the glass. IF its tempered glass its going to be a mess. Gloves and eye
protection for sure and maybe the shop apron too. Will find out fairly
quickly. IF its going to shatter, it will shatter fast, and come to think
of it I may have some glass from an old 4x5 frame laying around.

Appreciate all the help