[pure-silver] Re: making ground glass

  • From: Myron Gochnauer <goch@xxxxxx>
  • To: Pure Silver group <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 22:10:35 +0000

It is also a dangerous toxin for animals because of its sweet taste and
ultimate metabolite (oxalic acid). Two dogs near where I live recently died
from kidney failure as a result of ingesting ethylene glycol of unknown origin.
Apparently some people use it in an attempt to poison deer who are eating their
shrubs. In countries that allow it in anti-freeze, dogs are not infrequently
poisoned by licking up anti-freeze that has dripped on garage floors or
driveways. Propylene glycol is a safer alternative. (It tastes worse and
metabolizes to lactic acid). Canada seems unconcerned about ethylene glycol
poisoning of animals.

Myron

On Jul 14, 2015, at 3:57 PM, `Richard Knoppow
<dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Ethylene glycol is soluble in water so if you use it the parts can be
rinsed off. It is commonly used as automotive anti-freeze.

On 7/14/2015 9:39 AM, mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Well for the record, I checked the valve grinding compound just to see what was
in it. The ingredients were ethylene glycol and silicon carbide in a water
mix. What grit is up in the air, but it has to seal valves or an engine will
not go.

Can always regrind if needed.

dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
WB6KBL