[pure-silver] Re: making ground glass

  • From: Laurence Cuffe <cuffe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 20:28:46 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Mark
Black sandpaper, is carbarundum and will work as an accessible alternative.
Body shops tend to be a cheap source. For health reasons its probably better to
work wet. A source of grit for grinding might also be a rock shop, who might
have it in stock for rock polishing.
All the best
Laurence Cuffe
Sent from QCloud

On Jul 13, 2015, at 09:00 PM, mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

IF I understand this correctly, the frosted or front face of the ground glass
must be .197 from the wood on the back +/- .007 of an inch?  Think I do have a
depth micrometer around here somewhere.

I also greatly appreciate the offer of a ground glass, and I very well may take
you up on it after I experiment a bit here.

I don't look at this as misery or a time waste, even if it fails.  Though at
times it is frustrating, I am also learning a great deal and the education is
worth the time.
From: Myron Gochnauer <goch@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, July 13, 2015 7:46 am
To: Pure Silver group <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

. . . I went to auto parts store and bought a small tube of valve grinding
compound.  That's slow, but it is working.

It is vastly easier if you buy some straight silicon carbide. I don’t know of
any local source for most people, but if you are going to make ground glass in
the future, you should order some from a telescope-making supply.  Here’s one
that might do: http://www.willbell.com/ATMSupplies/ATM_Supplies.htm  It’s
located in Richmond, Va.

As you can see at that website, silicon carbide is pretty cheap.  And it never
goes bad!  I’m still using left-overs from 1962.

I can’t recall what grade I use for ground-glass.  I *think* 220 is okay. I’m
pretty sure 80 was too coarse for my tastes, and 400 or 500 was definitely too
fine.  You don’t need much, either.  4 oz. will make a lot of ground glass.

The other thing you need is a “grinding tool”.  For 4x5 to 8x10 ground glass, I
use a piece of glass that is roughly 4 inches square and a half inch thick. The
exact dimensions don’t matter. It just has to be big enough to grip, and rigid
enough to transmit even pressure. You can probably make something out of a
piece of plate glass glued to a block of wood.

To grind the glass:

1) Place several thicknesses of newspaper on a sturdy work table. (Telescope
makers often use an upside down barrel so they can walk around it.)

2) Place the glass-to-be-ground on top of the newspapers. The newspapers will
cushion and “grip” it slightly.

3)  Sprinkle a little carbide onto the glass. Keep it in an area a bit smaller
than your grinding tool. You’ll quickly learn how much to use.

4)  Sprinkle a little water onto the carbide and place the tool on top.  Move
the tool around gently to wet all of the carbide (you’ll feel it), and then
grind back and forth at various angles using moderate pressure.  There’s
nothing magic about these motions. Just keep them fairly random and short
enough that you don’t constantly scrape off the grinding compound with the edge
of the tool.  With a 4 or 5 inch tool I think I use a back-and-forth stroke of
something like 3 inches total.

5)  You may need to add a bit of water from time to time, and in a short space
of time you will feel and hear the grit disappearing (it breaks down).  When it
seems like you’re not really *grinding* any longer, rinse off the glass and
tool under running water and start over again with a fresh charge of silicon
carbide and water.

6)  Within two or three cycles you should start seeing the glass beginning to
look frosted. Check as you go along to see where it needs more work, and
continue until it is ground and frosted uniformly.

7)  If you later decide the surface is too fine or too coarse, you can regrind
it with a different grade, although it will be a little more difficult seeing
how your work is progressing.

The main difference between this procedure and one using automobile value
grinding compound is that this procedure is completely water-based, so it is
much easier to assess how you are doing, make adjustments, and clean up. The
basic idea is the same, though.

Myron Gochnauer
goch@xxxxxx

  Got about 15 minutes into it and its clear the glass is grinding down as it
should.  I am guessing its going to take at least another half hour or so,
maybe longer to get it like I want, but it is working.  Will it be factory, but
from the looks of it I think it will be quite serviceable.  There is something
to be said for having done it yourself.

Got to pick up a blade tomorrow that will fit in the jigsaw that will cut
glass.  No way I could ever get a clean cut with a typical glass cutter.  Tried
a few times and never mastered the scoring, or just never could get a clean
break.

This project is giving me a great appreciation for the work of the early
pioneers.  When you see the images they created with equipment that would be
considered primitive, after doing this I can appreciate the work even more.  I
have one huge advantage they didn't.  I have their experience and all those
that came after them.

A while back someone posted they had a method to shim the ground glass to make
sure that what you saw as in focus on the ground glass was in focus on the
film.  Would love to hear the procedure and if they prefer they are welcome to
email me off list.

Slow but sure, and this past couple of weeks have been a pain to find any time
at all to do much of anything.  One day when I push the shutter for the first
time, it will all be worth it, at least I hope.

Mark

WB6KBL