[pure-silver] Re: holes in emulsion and temperature

  • From: Ray Rogers <earthsoda@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 11:18:32 -0800 (PST)

(--- Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:)

(Some very old books advise having all solutions
exactly the same temperature but this is a left-over
from the 1920s when emulsions were very soft and
tended to reticulate (wrinkle) is subjected to much
temperature variation or to even moderate
temperatures. Modern films are very hard in
comparision, in fact, some, like the T-Max series,
are hardened like color films to withstand 100F
processing.)

Actually, I think is still good advice!

While it is true it is harder to get good looking
reticulation patterns, even when trying, I have a
knack it seems for reticulating tmax film!

I have not pinpointed the exact conditions, but the
effect is definate... without magnification it just
looks like a slightly fogged neagive, sort of the way
the film looks before it drys completely, but under
magnification a kind of un-artistic reticulation
structure is revealed...

This has only happened to me when I wash (post fixing)
with that useless device, the hand thermometor,
adjusting the temperature by opening and closing the
taps in succession as needed...  and occasionially
taking coffee breaks while the water is doing its
stuff....

(In any case a couple of degrees difference in
temperature will make no difference. )

if by couple this means 2or 3 yes... but I wasn't
boiling my film by no means... but it does happen...
(to me at least) so I would advise due care.

Besides, (and a new topic)...
With the way things are going, backwards with the
technology, it is prudent;

I went shopping yesterday and read all the boxes of
KODAK film I could find (and there were a lot)
Now perhaps EVERYONE knows this... (I usually use my
own material so I have not bought a lot of commercial
material for many years, but) I was schocked to find
the following tendency:

On Every box of 35 mm film it said
Made in the USA... but THEN it said
Finished in Mexico....

I noticed that NONE of the 120 roll films said that!

So, what does this mean??@
Is Kodak shipping bulk 35mm film to Mexico for loading
in the patrones/and or box packaging?

Is this just something peculiar to the Japanese
market?

Where was your last box of Kodak finished at?

Anyway, my point is that while its very hard to
reticulate modern film WELL, it wont hurt to keep the
temperatures close.

It maynot be long until that box reads:

Made in Mexico
for