[pure-silver] Re: holes in emulsion and temperature

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 12:52:23 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shannon Stoney" <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2007 7:31 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: holes in emulsion and temperature

Somebody said that when you use a water rinse, you should use two batches of water. Is this true?

I did use Kodak's directions for diluting stop: 18mls per liter. Is this too strong?

--shannon

Is this for glacial (concentrated) acid or Kodak Indicator stop? Indicator stop bath is about 50% acetic. For the indicator bath the resulting stop will be about 1.8%, which is about right. For concentrated acid use about half the amount. Most formulas call for 28% acetic, which is a convenient stock concentration. The amount for normal stop bath is 45ml to water to make 1.0 liter. Stop baths of this concentration should not cause any problems. I don't like water stops. The developer must be pretty much washed out of the film or paper. I suppose a plain water rinse between development and fixing in an acid stop bath might reduce the amount of gas generated in the fixing bath but I don't really think this is significant. Again, the only developers which evolve gas in an acid bath are those containing a carbonate.

---