[pure-silver] Re: help with finding an 4x5" enlarger

  • From: Lloyd Erlick <lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 18:17:23 -0500

At 01:53 PM 1/31/2006 , Sandor wrote:

I am lucky to have a Durst 138. I have the mixing chambers for 5x7" (13x8cm) and 6x9 cm.  I've never used the 6x9 chamber, though if I were to print 35mm with this enlarger I may try it.

I agree with Lloyd that the glass carrier for your largest negative is all you need.  You can make a mask from a sheet of waste film or black paper for all the smaller formats.

Sandor

February 1, 2006, from Lloyd Erlick,

The masks would certainly be a convenience, and cost-free, too. But I haven't even done that. The sliding masks built into the L1200 negative carrier body have been sufficient for anything I've had to do. They are limited, and the fuzzy shadow cast by the edge of the mask blade is unfortunate, but I've had no problem coping. Centering the negative on the glass is no problem either, although a mask might help a bit. In any case this is all in the area of cost-free fine-tuning.

Something about buying a used L1200, though -- the deal absolutely must include the negative carrier, which is identified as FEMONEG. This is a book-like hinged holder for the various format inserts or glass inserts. The inserts or glasses are relatively cheap if purchased new, but the price of the carrier itself is revealed only after presentation of proof of health insurance coverage.

regards,
--le
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
voice: 416-686-0326