[pure-silver] Re: dust

  • From: Jim Brick <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 11:10:05 -0700

Well... I have a zero dust problem in my darkroom. Not only is my darkroom
in my garage, which [the garage door] is not sealed from the outside
elements - wind and dust, I, and four other people use it for processing
and printing everything from B&W/RC/FB, C41/RA4, E6/Ciba, including Alt
processes.

Years ago I discovered the Sharper Image Ionic Breeze Quadra air purifier:

http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/catalog/productview/sku=SI637SNX/hppos=12

Actually, after seeing what it does for my darkroom, many of my colleagues
have put one in their darkroom. They ALL state the same as me, which is, a
ZERO DUST PROBLEM.

I run my Quadra on low. It sits in the corner and kills all dust. Nothing
in my darkroom is charged any more. Dust simply does not stick to anything,
especially negatives and glass carriers. I clean the Quadra once every
three to six months (a 60 second job) as it tells me when it needs
cleaning. The dust collects on charged plates and the ions it emits seems
to eliminate the charge on any remaining dust to the point where it has
either fallen to the floor or collects on the plates.

Some people say that the ozone that the unit puts out is harmful. Well...
it isn't.

"Ionic Breeze complies with U.S. safety requirements for low ozone emission
(less than 50 parts per billion) as tested by Underwriters Laboratories
under their UL867 standard for consumer products." That's on high. A
darkroom needs to use only the low setting.

Go to the URL above and read the stuff at the bottom of the screen.

Anyway, it may seem expensive, but I wouldn't give up mine for anything. It
makes printing a real joy. I, and my colleagues, simply do not have to spot
anything. My standard print size is 20x24. Having a dust problem on 20x24
Ciba prints (dust prints black) would be a REAL problem. Real expensive at
$12 per sheet. You cannot spot black spots.

So, if you want to print dustless, go ionic.

:-)

Jim

PS... The Ionic Breeze is guaranteed for five years. I had a problem with
my original unit (at least five years ago) and sent it back for warranty
repair. It became real obvious to us how much work it did. For the four
weeks that it was gone, we again had the normal darkroom dust problem. I
did not print any Ciba during that month. My daughter had to print for
school assignments and it was probably a good thing as she learned how to
spot prints during this time.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with the Sharper Image. I just know that
it absolutely works in my darkroom.

Jim again