[pure-silver] Re: Veering OT - WAS Re: It Sneaks Up On You...

  • From: Dana Myers <dana.myers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 10:27:17 -0800

On 12/21/2011 8:59 AM, Jean-David Beyer wrote:
Eric Nelson wrote:
chinatown man
Right. Only 80 minutes away by train, and a little more for subway fare.
Each way. Train is $13.50 round trip (I am senior citizen). Even The
Great Atlantic And Pacific Tea Company do not have loose tea. Capitalism
lets Kodak stop making good stuff, and markets selling even items like
loose tea. Sure I can get English Photo Paper, and Bigelow or Twining's
tea bags. And Chinese friends sometimes bring it in on visits. My sister
can still get it (she lives in Canada).

Have you looked at online merchants, or perhaps those distant tea merchants will
ship?  I asked Google to find "loose tea" and found a dozen online stores
selling
loose tea (many of which are likely bricks and mortar establishments).

It isn't Capitalism that killed Kodak; the hard truth is that film went from a
mainstream product with associated economies of scale  to a boutique
product no longer capable of supporting the overhead involved.  Most people
didn't use film because they *wanted* to, they used film because they *had*
to, and it's easy to understand why the vast majority of people that capture
images
have abandoned film.

When I need photo-chemicals, I've been ordering them online (B&H or Freestyle).
I'd much rather get relatively fresh chems from a larger business that
frequently turns over stock than a small shop nearby that has 5+ year old stock
- which is what the local photography shops had turned into before disappearing
completely.  While I initially grumbled about the cost of shipping, I realized
it's still
less expensive than traveling 30+ miles and at least one toll bridge to a shop.

It's true that I miss the community-aggregation that local photography
shops and communal darkrooms provide - or the same community that a local
tea/coffee shop provides.
Dana