[pure-silver] Re: VC printing equipment Was: Replacement forBromofort paper;

  • From: DarkroomMagic <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: PureSilverNew <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 02:18:09 +0100

Subjective evaluation of reflection densities is difficult. Backing off a
step from paper-white is probably OK (the eyes are very good at the
highlight end), but unfortunately, doing this on the dark end of the scale
proves rather complicated and unreliable.

I suggest the use of limited controlled lighting with or without a
densitometer. I have a 100W bulb in my darkroom, which I use to evaluate
prints at a distance of 6 feet. Prints checked under these conditions have
good exposure and contrast. If you use too bright of a light source, you can
separate shadows to no end, and final prints always turn out too dark and
too contrasty. (Just try to hold undistinguishable shadows directly against
a light bulb. You'll be able to separate them with no trouble at all).

From a guy who's favorite negative was made by Stouffer (unfortunately).

Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht