[pure-silver] Re: AW: Re: Any advice for purchase of densitometer.

  • From: Sandy King <sanking@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 17:52:05 -0500

John,

Your comment proves that the problem for VC papers is very, very
complicated. My own tests in comparing VC and graded papers have been
done by contact printing, using as a light source a Beseler 23-CII
with the original incandescent bulb. With this set-up I see about the
same difference between VC and graded papers observed by Mr. Thornton.

However, to be quite frank, I have not observed as much difference in
contrast between graded and VC papers between the stain of
pyocatechin based developers (Diaxactol, Pyrocat-HD) and pyrogallol
based developers (PMK, Rollo Pyro, WD2D+). It is possible that Mr.
Thornton exaggerated the differences to promote sales of his own
developer, but based on the differences in our own observations I
think it is also possible, perhaps even more likely,  that his
printing light sources gave those results.

Sandy