[pure-silver] Re: Using a selenium toner solution to test for residual silver

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 07:34:04 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Kershaw" <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, July 19, 2010 3:56 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Using a selenium toner solution to test for residual silver

On KHCA and other wash aids, do you have any suggestions as to a starting point for soak times assuming continuous agitation (presumably optimal as with most photographic solutions)? - I've been using 3 minutes in the last week for 8x10" fibre base work prints.

On Gold toning: Tim Rudman (the lith printer) has suggested prints should be fixed after Gold toning, what is your view?

Tom

The research paper Kodak published on KHCA has a curve which shows that maximum effect is gotten in about three minutes. Longer treatment probably does no harm but the effect is exponential so once the maximum effect is approached longer treatment doesn't do much. Kodak recommends three minutes for double weight paper and two minutes for film and single weight paper.

I suspect the "gold" toner Tim is talking about is Nelson's Gold. This does require fixing after toning because it leaves some halide in the emulsion. I don't think any of the standard gold protetective toners require re-fixing, only washing.