[pure-silver] Re: Using a selenium toner solution to test for residual silver

  • From: John Stockdale <j.sto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 08:04:36 +1000

The user at APUG who advocates 1:19 fixer single shot is an idiosyncratic fellow and his system has very little support. I can remember Ryuji Suzuki saying that it runs the risk of inadequate fixing.

Se toner contains lots of thiosulphate. It is not necessary to remove fixer (thiosulphate) before Se toning, BUT it is very important to remove acid from the paper before SE toning. Since most fixers are acidic to varying degrees, this is the reason that rinsing between fixing and Se toning is advocated. Alternatively, alkaline fixer can be used, or an alkali bath after fixing can remove the acid before the Se toning stage.

John Stockdale

Tom Kershaw wrote:
 Richard,

On Thursday I processed several full sheets (with no exposure, aside from a '902' type ILFORD safelight) of different paper varieties through developer, stop, and a two bath fix, both diluted @ 1:9; then washed for 45 minutes in a Nova printwasher without an HCA stage. My intention being to test for both residual silver and residual fixer (with the standard test) over the full sheet.

The use of selenium toner as a test for residual silver does bring into question what kind of processing regime one should use if selenium toning is included. Should one try and get all residual fixer out of the paper before toning in KRST or any other Se toner, which to my knowledge all contain Ammonium Thiosulphate and will therefore introduce additional compounds that need to be washed out of the paper; or is a 15 minute wash between the 2nd fix bath and the Se toner, and then washing for the full time (e.g. 45 minutes, depending on testing) more likely to prove an efficient and effective washing regime?

Out of interest, what is your view on the more recent practice of using a two bath fix regime with both baths diluted at 1:4, processing for 1 minute in each bath? - Aside from increased sales for the manufacturer (ILFORD HYPAM in my case), I'd have thought one would start to get into issues with excessive silver concentration in the fixer for fibre base processing, while at the same time possibly throwing out solutions with remaining high activity. One user on APUG advocates a single 1:19 dilution fixer for fibre base printing used fresh and one-shot but this doesn't seem a very time efficient technique if making a large number of prints.

Tom

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Kershaw" <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>