[pure-silver] Re: Un-spotting help please

  • From: Jean-David Beyer <jeandavid8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 21:09:50 -0400

On 07/02/2013 08:52 PM, Bob Younger wrote:
> Michael,
>
> I did not know Brett personally. I was using information I read in _A
> Restless Eye_, by John Woods; published by Erica Weston. My personal
> approach is that if it needs spotting it's not leaving the studio. I
> have never been able to do it well (to my satisfaction); and I have not
> found anyone whom I could count on to do it for me.

I would not say I have a studio. I must be the world's worst print
spotter. So I do not do it. The spotting I need is the dust on 35mm
negatives. They are clearly little bits of thread lint from clothing. I
do not know why I cannot get it off 35 mm negatives.

I have no trouble with B&W 4"x5" negatives. I just lightly brush each
negative just after I put it in my Beseler Neg-a-stretch holder and
there is no dust. I use a Zone VI high voltage electrozapper brush for
this.  But it does not work for me for 35mm; I do not know why, but I do
not care anymore, as I shoot almost no 35mm anymore.

I had much worse results with color negatives. I would get dust stuck in
the emulsions of those. So if one of those needed spotting, I took a
hole punch and made a big hole in the film strip there so as not to
frustrate myself in the future. Solved the color printing problem by not
shooting color anymore.