[pure-silver] Re: Un-spotting help please

  • From: "K W Hart" <kwhart1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 21:48:24 -0400

You need an opaque white spotting medium to remove/cover a dark spot on a print. Or, if you can reprint the neg, either remove the piece of fuzz, or cure the scratch by filling it in with "No-Scratch" or 'nose grease'.

Back in the 1970's, Kodak sold a print spotting kit that consisted of three 2"x2" plastic sheets. One sheet had a water-soluble black spot, one had a brown spot, and the third a white spot. You moistened your fine point brush, picked up a bit of black, brown, or white from the sheet, and applied it to the print. You could mix the three colors to get the desired shade of grey or sepia to spot the print. I wish I had bought a bunch of these kits, because they were great!

I have had slight success by using Grumbacher's artist watercolor. This comes in a tube (similar to toothpaste, but much smaller). You squeeze out a small amount on a plastic surface and let it dry. Then you can pick up a small amount on your moistened brush and apply an opaque white spot to your print. I recommend getting a tube of white, black, and brown, so you can make what is almost a copy of Kodak's kit from the 1970's! The problem with this method (or Kodak's product) is that the stuff is on the surface of the print, rather than soaking in. So you can see it when the light hits the print from an angle. You will need to spray the print with a suitable clear coat, building up several layers to hide your retouching. Alternatively, you could shoot a copy neg of your retouched photo, and print from that.

I hope this is helpful.

Ken Hart
kwhart1@xxxxxxxxxxxx

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gary Marklund" <Gary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>