[pure-silver] Re: Un-spotting help please

  • From: "BOB KISS" <bobkiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 17:33:22 -0400

DEAR GARY,
        I am about to subject myself to serious abuse because I am going to
use the "D" word on the Pure Silver list.  Well, let's just say I am going
to suggest a hybrid.
        Either make or get made a good high resolution scan of your
negative.  Do all your spotting (especially that nasty fine line), dodging,
burning, tone and contrast adjustment in Photoshop then print out a digital
negative at whatever size you your final print to be using a good quality
inkjet printer on one of the many films available (I use Inkpress).  I use
Dan Burkholder's digital templates but you can also use Mark Nelson's PDN
system and there may be others as well.
        If you print this negative using the right curves for silver
gelatin, you can make a gorgeous silver gelatin contact print and tone it as
you like.  I have done this a number of times and am amazed at the quality.
I am also amazed at how much less paper I waste due to slight over burning
or over dodging and other foolish mistakes I make even after 49 years of
printing!!!
        Of course I only recommend this to save damaged negatives...one
would NEVER do this otherwise (LOL!!!)  You originated on film and you are
still producing a beautiful silver gelatin print.  Let's just say that what
went on in the kitchen is the chef's secret, yes?
                CHEERS!
                        BOB