[pure-silver] Re: The new Kodak TV ad

  • From: jeffrey <puresilver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 18:02:16 -0700

Is the discontination of Agfa film a very recent development, or have I been asleep?

Agfa clearly don't want to be in that market and that's why they split the
consumer imaging group out into "AgfaPhoto" which then filed in short order
for bankruptcy. And AgfaPhoto? The patents and trademarks are in the holding
company and the production? Well.... Rollfilm (ALL not just B&W) have been
discontinued. And among the films for 35mm.. Scala, Vista-100, Vista-800,
Ultra-100 and quite a few other films have been given the axe. We've seen
their fixed grade papers go.. now we are probably seeing their RA-4 papers
go and probably their multigrade B&W papers as well.. Even products like
Viradon I think are probably history.. Agfa has retained the industrial imaging
portions which include microfilm and cine sound and positive print but I
suspect that they will be selling from stock on hand as its increasingly
difficult to see how they will continue to produce given the large scale of
their gear... I don't know what or where Agfa wants to be with silver halide
imaging but I suspect it might not be "in business"... We will see how things
progress over the next few months but I increasingly see little hope for
AgfaPhoto and instead a cynical game played all to often over the past few
years in Germany... New elections are in 2 weeks and I can well imagine the
next "AgfaPhoto" adjustment will follow hot on its heels...