[pure-silver] Re: The new Kodak TV ad

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 08:17:48 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Koch, Gerald" <gkoch02@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, September 02, 2005 7:56 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: The new Kodak TV ad

The reality is that sales of film has decreased by 25% for each of the
past two years. If Kodak finds that sales of its B&W paper are no
longer profitable why is it Kodak's fault? If people are buying less
film then they are also buying less paper. Now you read of people
boycotting Kodak film. Gee!, what a great way to have Kodak decide to
stop making film.

Let's put the blame where it belongs, on the consumer who has turned his
back on analog photography. If we want Agfa, Ilford, and Kodak to
survive we need to buy their products. If you like a certain product
then continue to buy it. "Don't cut your nose off to spite your face."
as the old saying goes.

Jerry

This is exactly right. Kodak isn't trying to shaft anybody. They have lost their original and largest market through no fault of their own and are scrambling to survive.
Kodak began as a manufacturer of photographic materials and all the other businesses they got into, including pharmaceuticals and plastics, were in some way extensions of photography. Digital photography is completely different from chemical photography. About the only thing they have in common is the use of paper for prints. Kodak was a very large company and the domininant one in the world for photographic materials of all sorts. Now, they are facing very stiff competition from many sources for all the materials used in digital work, cameras, scanners, paper, ink, what have you. IMO they have done pretty well at establishing themselves in the new field but are far from being dominating it or even being an industry leader. There have been changes in industries in the past due to something or other becoming obsolete, but nothing I can think of on this scale. Even the change from buggies to cars was much slower and of a much smaller economic scale.
I want to see Kodak survive but, like many other current businesses, it won't have much in common with the past beyond the brand name.

---