[pure-silver] Re: TMAX grain - developer modification?

  • From: "John Black" <jblack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 11:01:27 -0400

> > There is no doubt that precieved grain and pH of developer are
> > linked.  The higher the pH, the greater the activity and precieved
> > grain.
>
> I agree, but this and "clumping" are different things.

Indeed.  But, as I understand, the "clumping" theory of grain formation was
a first quarter 20th century concept and was largely discredited in later
times.  Modern film with it's incorperated hardeners and thin emulsions are
said to be essentially immune to this effect (if it ever existed).

Note that I use the term "precieved" with respect to grain. This recognizes
that the macroscopic and microscopic phenomena are not necessarily linked.

JB