[pure-silver] Re: Subjective Opinions of Pan F , TMX, or...

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 12:43:48 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "pdesmidt tds.net" <pdesmidt@xxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, May 13, 2011 10:32 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Subjective Opinions of Pan F , TMX, or...

I haven't used Pan F in quite awhile, but I doubt it'll give "much finer grain" than TMX or Acros. Sandy King, Mr. Pyrocat, had a really huge print made from 120 Acros developed in Pyrocat HD. If memory serves me correctly,
grain was not apparent even in a huge print.

If you want _extremely_ fine grain use 100T-Max and process it in either Ilford Perceptol or Kodak Microdol-X (if you can still get it). The grain is nearly as fine as from the late, lamented, Technical Pan in Technidol. Speed is about EI-50 and contrast and latitude is normal. However, the combination has very little edge/border effect so its not "sharp". If used with sharp lenses that really makes no difference. It is the only combination I've used that shows tone rendition for 35mm film approaching the smoothness of larger formats.