[pure-silver] Re: Speaking Of Ortho - Black Skies Sought

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 08:59:42 -0700

When the movies began using panchromatic film after converting to sound it also required a change in lighting. Gone were the arc lamps which had been the workhorses because they were too noisy, replaced by incandescent lamps. This in turn required a change in makeup. For a while they used green lipstick and magenta foundation. I don't think this lasted too long. In the very early days of motion pictures color blind film was used which does produce black lips and also can make one look like they have a serious hang over (dark under the eyes) but ortho film was adopted by the late teens. Still distorted skin rendition. Most camera negative and much printing was developed by inspection where ortho had an advantage. That also stopped when sound was introduced since the processing of the print had to conform to the requirements of the sound negative to minimize distortion, so the picture negative also had to conform. Another reason many in the industry hated the coming of sound.

On 6/30/2015 4:33 AM, Snoopy wrote:

Dear Richard and List,

On 28.06.2015 19:37, `Richard Knoppow wrote:
I don't remember what it is
in the trees that is responsible.
The green chlorophyll in the leaves has a very strong IR spectral
emission line, hence the leaves and grass etc. show up white. Plants
generally are far "brighter" in many different areas of the spectrum to
attract insects for pollination etc. Real beacons.

[Anecdotal evidence: I sport blue hair which I dye with a dye based on
blueberries and for about two weeks every summer a LOT of insects think
I am a huge and delicious blueberry. Low altitude air traffic control
gets kind of tedious when you walk the dogs and have to manage the
approach of about 30 bees per minute :-) ]

Chlorophyll is like Kryptonite, :-) it comes in several different
colours: Green is normal but there are red and yellow isomers and when
the trees "retire" the green stuff for winter (they actually migrate it
out of the leaves and store it in the trunk) the red and yellow (and
useless for making glucose) chlorophyll remains, giving us the wonderful
autumn colours or Indian Summers or whatver you wish to call that
wonderfful time of year...

Consequently trees in spring and summer look very different on "real" IR
film, than in fall/autumn. Evergreen trees have a very dark variety of
chlorophyll and this is actually black on IR film.

Now I hope y'all wrote that down or learnt this by heart to enliven the
next boring dinner party :-)

PS what I love about my ortho film is the "Roaring 20's Glamour Look",
when all the models had these dark and sultry lips. This was not
lipstick, the red lips came out almost black in the ortho film.

PPS For those of you who ordered film, the mail has just gone out
today...and I have none left, HOORAY! Share and enjoy.

Love,
Snoopy

WB6KBL