[pure-silver] Re: (Sligthly OT) Long term storage of batteries

  • From: "Peter Badcock" <peter.badcock@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 23:53:11 +1100

On 03/03/07, Bogdan Karasek <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

That is correct.  A friend if mine is an engineer who got his start at
Leica in Midlands, Ontario, Canada.  He was a aghast when I told him
that I was putting the batteries in the freezer.  Into the bottom, the
fridge part they have to go, a zip lock bag and then a Tupperware
container to facilitate stacking.  Since then, other engineers have told
told me the same thing.  I have too much respect for their knowledge and
abilities to ignore the advice.

I do the same with all my +++, ++, C, D batteries also.

Cheers,
Bogdan

FWIW, I'm also an (Electrical) Engineer.  I've had a experience
testing all kinds of cell chemistries.  About 7-8 years ago when my
job involved developing the world's first BTE speech processor for a
Cochlear Implant, we had to characterise the maximum discharge
currents of different brands of the high capacity Zinc Air cells.
Back in those days, repeatability of the testing results was poor with
certain brands, because that type of cell was still coming of age.

BTW, why do you keep your batteries in the fridge anyway?  Alkalines
have a very long shelf life these days.

regards
Peter