[pure-silver] Re: (Sligthly OT) Long term storage of batteries

  • From: "Peter Badcock" <peter.badcock@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 21:41:51 +1100

On 03/03/07, C.Breukel@xxxxxxx <C.Breukel@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

I have quite a few various batteries for my various camera's and lightmeters
(including V625 mercury batteries for my Gossen Lunasix which are not
available anymore).

I came accross the tip that you can store your batteries in ziplock bags (to
keep them dry) in the fridge (+4degC) for long-term storage.

Is this true, do people have experience with this method?

thanks,

best,

Cor

Hi Cor,

very interesting question you raise.  I don't think anyone will be
able to tell you from 1st hand experience, but my educated guess is
that it won't hurt the cells, and would possibly lengthen their shelf
life.  The rate of all chemical reactions is governed by temperature -
lower is slower.  The question though is whether the self discharge
process is a chemical reaction or a physical phenomenon (the latter
won't necessarily be slowed by a lower temp.)

Ensure they are sealed to avoid contaminating foodstuffs with mercury.

Don't freeze them as the electrolyte might expand and ruin the cell.

regards
Peter