[pure-silver] Re: Selenium toning question, was stopbath kills fixer

  • From: "richard l. gifford" <rlgif@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 08:59:05 -0600

Lloyd Erlick wrote:

> jan2505 from Lloyd Erlick,
(snipped)

> Another reason I suspended use of acid in my darkroom is that I have
> noticed my selenium toner behaves much, much better this way. Formerly,
> after a few uses, my toner began to produce a very dark precipitate that
> eventually made the solution so murky and unpleasant looking that I could
> no longer bear to use it. The stuff is expensive, and I use it at quite a
> high concentration, so it is expensive. With no acid present, I noticed the
> murkiness was vastly reduced. After two years of use, my selenium toner
> working solution is still close to water-clear. (I also filter it through
> coffee filters; doing this before I deleted acid never quite cleared it.) I
> never throw away my toner now, I just keep topping it up. The only loss of
> toner I have now is from carry-out on the sheets.

I understood the information on the bottle to say
something about so many 8x10's per ounce of product, or
some such limitation.  (Sorry, I'm a long way from the
darkroom and the bottle).  I thought the selenium was
consumed out of the solution in some kind of chemical
reaction.  I get four 11x14's from a tray of working
solution, and I toss it.  Yes, it's very expensive.  Am
I missing something?  Is this just Kodak's way to sell
more product?  Is it okay to just run prints through
this same wet bath forever, as long as it was initially
mixed at the recommended archival dilution?

regards...   Dick Gifford