[pure-silver] Re: Rodinal - Dennis

  • From: Dennis P <dlp4777@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 12:01:37 -0700

On Apr 17, 2015, at 11:10 AM, Janet Cull wrote:

"I generally use the late version Rodinal at 1-50..."

Dennis, do you find the new Rodinal to be different from the old? When you
say, "the late version", is that the same as R09? Thanks for your reply.

Janet

To me the subtle difference between similar developers is impossible to see
without a very controlled, all things the same, side by side comparison.
Even then the results are always surprisingly similar. I have tested several
developers against each other and find the difference is not enough to make or
break an image. You can over time develop personal concepts of what the
character of your favorite developers is but that is always anecdotal and
subjective and dependent on way too many variables.

The reason I still use Rodinal sometimes is because it is cheap and one shot.
I also like the slight bluish cast it seems to give my large format film. I do
think that to me Rodinal makes beautiful looking negatives... as opposed to
Pyro with it's ugly yellowish brownish or greenish color. That is however no
indication of how much you will like the print.

I also often use Beutlers formula and find it nearly identical to using Rodinal
though I think Beutlers gives me just a tiny bit more density in the middle
tones.

I have used the R09 and didn't like that it went so dark in the bottle...
though that is supposedly no indication. I really doubt I would personally be
able to see and difference at all between the new and the old formulas and
certainly not one that is significant.

IMO
Dennis